Friday, June 18, 2010

I don't want to run a 5K!

Let’s just say I didn’t decide to call this page “Slug to 5K” for nothing…if I was one of the Seven Deadly Sins, I’d be sloth. If “you are what you eat” is actually true, then I’m either a cheesy plate of nachos or a dark chocolate peanut M&M. My image of nirvana involves a beach, a hammock, a book & a margarita. I’m a lazy SOB. Three years ago, I had a son…
The infant lifestyle suited me for the most part – moving slowly, snoozing, and not noticing that I was scarfing Doritos while he was dining on pureed peas – but times change. Something had to give. So, about a year & a half ago, I joined the gym, scored a “gym buddy” & discovered a “love” of the elliptical machine. I have made strides to improve my diet – cut my Mt. Dew habit down to one or two cans a week, limiting my desserts to one a day (tough for a candy freak!), exploring the Lean Cuisine aisle, falling in love with Carnation Instant Breakfast & Fiber One bars…I have caffeinated water shipped in from Illinois for a no calorie hit of my drug of choice. I lost 15 pounds & a pant size.
Come February 2010, I needed a new challenge. I mentioned running to my gym buddy, a marathon runner. She suggested the “Couch to 5K” program. I said “I don’t want to run a 5K!” then looked into it…and bought some running shoes. Follow this link to check out the program: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
This morning, I completed Day 3 of Week 3. I can jog for 3 minutes at a time without wanting to kill myself. As the mother of a wild & crazy preschooler, I crave quiet time. My “running” time provides 30 minutes of peace. I just jog along, listening to my tunes & the “coach” on the “Couch to 5K” app on my iPhone. I didn’t expect it, but I can “get out of my head.” And, even if I get up early to get my “jog” in before work, I am more Zen during the day. Holy crap.
So, welcome to “Slug to 5K” – a record of my journey…if all goes well, I’m actually going to RUN a 5K in September. But I’m still saying no to a marathon…

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! The program doesn't look horrible to follow, maybe I will have to try to get into it a bit. Lol, I will have to get the kids into it as well ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! One day I might actually convince myself that movement is good for me too. But I'm not running anywhere. It takes a grizzly bear to make me move that fast.

    ReplyDelete