Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Just like Chong...

Well, I am finally getting my groove back…back injury is behind me and, as of tomorrow, I will be all caught up in my C25k program…so here’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for – playlist time!

What makes a song a good “running” song? The answer is obviously very personal. One of my running buddies just needs a good rhythm to keep her feet moving. Others probably need inspirational lyrics to boost their spirits. Because spirits can definitely sag while you’re out there running…sag, sag, sag…But for me, it’s all about the bass line. I need a bass line that pushes. It can be repetitive, but it must drive. Without it, I am hopelessly unmotivated. And that pushing bass line can arrive wrapped in a surprising package. This is a partial listing from my running playlist…

The obvious picks:
Garbage – As Heaven Is Wide, Bad Boyfriend, & I Think I’m Paranoid
Shirley Manson’s growling voice over classic rock rhythms
The Smashing Pumpkins – Ava Adore - can’t go wrong with Billy
U2 – Bullet the Blue Sky, Discotheque, Get On Your Boots, Gloria, Electric Co, Hawkmoon 269, Like A Song, Magnificent – and is it OK that I picture my darling Larry Mullen instead of Bono?
Muse – Uprising – great bass line AND empowering lyrics – a plus!

The “new” stuff:
Franz Ferdinand – No You Girls – the rhythm of this song makes me walk
with more pep! It definitely propels the jogging!
Finger Eleven – Paralyzer – doesn’t everyone want to affect someone
like that girl gets to him?
Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch – simply a great tune!

The “silly” stuff:
Matthew Sweet – Break My Stride – classic 80s chemical cheese
Ricky Martin - Cup of Life – has already been discussed
They Might Be Giants – Don’t Let’s Start – just listen to it & you’ll know
No Doubt – Hella Good – can help you feel good even when you most
certainly DO NOT

The “surprise” packages:
Tori Amos – Caught a Lite Sneeze & Cornflake Girl – up-tempo but
relaxing, good for remembering not to get too tight in the legs/butt
Ice Cube – Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangster – ‘nuff said
Fiona Apple – Fast As You Can – rhythm and lyrics keep you moving
Ween – Voodoo Lady – great, great song – keeps me going & laughing
Cypress Hill – Hits from the Bong – seriously, have you HEARD it lately?
It has the same affect on me that the Tori Amos tracks have, but
magnified by the power of suggestion! What’s better than a mental
“hit from the bong?” OK, yeah sure, but I’m not into that!

I’ll leave you with some choice words…

Pick it, pack it
Fire it up, come along…

Sing my song, puff all night long
As I take hits from the bong…

Don't get me stirred up the smoke, through the bub-bling water
Is makin' it pure so I gotta, take my hit and hold it
Just like Chong, I hit the bowl and I reload it
Get my four-footer and bring it on
As I take hits from the bong

Hits from the bong
Gonna get high
Hits from the bong
Gonna get high
Hits from the bong
Gonna get high

See? Told you it was personal…now you’ve been a little too far inside my mind.

4 comments:

  1. You know now I will have to go listen to Hits From the Bong, lol. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No Huey Lewis? Musical taste is clearly personal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing gets me through the middle of a long run like some Paul Simon..usually stuff off of Graceland. No idea why but its soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Huey Lewis, Cece...he's just not on my running playlist :) And I'd add some Paul Simon if I had time, but it'd be from Rhythm of the Saints - drums, drums & more drums!

    ReplyDelete